Michelle Kelly is a partner at Sutherland Kelly LLP in Guelph, Ontario. She practises predominantly in the area of condominium law. She regularly works with developers, property managers, boards, and unit owners across Ontario. She frequently assists her clients with a variety of condominium matters, including:
• Creating new condominiums;
• Drafting, amending and interpreting: declarations, by-laws and rules; shared facilities agreements; and section 98/alteration/indemnity agreements;
• Providing opinions on changes to the common elements, assets or services; repair and maintenance obligations; construction deficiencies; human rights claims; and employment matters;
• Collecting common element fee arrears, including notices of lien, certificates of lien, discharges of lien, and power of sale proceedings;
• Assisting with enforcement, including compliance letters, mediation, arbitration, and court proceedings; and,
• Attending and chairing owners’ meetings.
Michelle is a member of the Canadian Condominium Institute (C.C.I.), including the London and Golden Horseshoe chapters. She also received her Associate of the Canadian Condominium Institute (A.C.C.I.) in 2014. Michelle is also a member of the Professional Partner’s and Communications committees for the Golden Horseshoe chapter. She regularly contributes articles to the C.C.I. magazines and is a frequent speaker at C.C.I. events, including conferences, seminars, and Level 100 and 200 courses. She is also a regular speaker for the Association of Condominium Managers of Ontario (A.C.M.O.).
Michelle graduated, with distinction, from the University of Guelph where she received her Bachelor of Commerce degree. She completed a Bachelor of Laws degree from the University of Ottawa, graduating with honours. She was called to the bar in Ontario in 2010 and has practised almost exclusively in the area of condominium law since her call.